Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Examining my options, part 1

As discussed yesterday, there are life-and-death issues where I find Obama's stance terrible.  Like, "killing innocent people" terrible.  So, what is a boy to do?  Let's investigate my options for whom to vote:

-Vote for Green Party nominee Jill Stein
As previously discussed, when it comes to the issues, Stein is my ideal candidate.  She's a tax-raising, welfare-loving enviro-peacenik.  She also has no chance of winning.  It's true that more votes for her would help similar candidates in future elections and to some tiny degree move our politics more in my direction.  The power of the president and the bully pulpit, however, have a much greater ability to change the future.  Assuming there's sufficient difference between the major nominees, which I believe there is (more on this later) at least this time around, whatever minuscule benefits gained by Stein as a result of a few thousand more votes aren't worth the risk of those votes changing the winner of the election.  It would be great if our voting system were capable of registering my preference for Stein's policies while also letting me help decide the winner, but as it stands, I have to do one or the other.

-Vote for another third-party candidate
If I'm not going to vote for Stein, I can't think of any good reason to vote for another inevitable loser with whom I agree less.

-Vote for Romney
Agrees with Obama on the areas where I have issues with Obama, disagrees with Obama and I on the issues where we agree.

Of course, I don't have to vote for anyone at all.  More on that option tomorrow.

No comments: