Sunday, May 4, 2008

Opening Statements

Greetings, and welcome to my blog! I chose to start this project after spending more time than I'd care to admit following the 2008 election, particularly the Democratic side. For the record, I voted for Barack Obama in the Ohio primary and canvassed for his campaign on Cleveland's east side. Also for the record, I am among other things pro-universal health care, anti-Iraq war (from the beginning, thank you very much), pro-international aid both public and private, recently pro-gun, ambivalently pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, anti-open border but pro-drastically increased legal immigration, pro-private prayer in school (or anywhere else for that matter), pro-drug decriminalization, and anti-PATRIOT Act. Don't worry! There will be posts about most if not all of these topics.

I first was eligible to vote in 2000, voting for McCain in the Ohio primary (back when "Straight Talk Express" was not a misnomer) and Gore in the general. I was a supporter of Dr. Dean prior to his dropping out of the race in '04, then voted for John Edwards in the 2004 Ohio primary. I voted for and canvassed for John Kerry in the general.

I'm sharing all of these facts so you, the reader, know where I'm coming from. While it is important to know where people stand, I think there is this detrimental tendency in our politics to completely ignore ideas proposed by opponents and to accept as gospel anything from people on "our side". So I hope that, even if you disagree with me on a particular issue, you'll give my posts some thought.

With that, on to the issues! I'll hopefully be posting daily for the next 2-3 weeks, then I'll be taking a couple weeks off for my graduation from medical school and my wedding

No comments: