Tuesday, September 9, 2008

OK, I'm back, and pissed

It's been a busy couple months, as my wife and I have been setting up our new home in Pittsburgh (to quote Indiana Jones' father, we are pilgrims in an unholy land) and I've begun my pediatric training at WVU in Morgantown, West Virginia. I haven't found much time for posting. But, we're down to 8 weeks before the election, and I'm going to make the time, dammit!

Today, the McCain campaign released an ad attacking Senator Obama on education. It's main line of attack is based on Obama's support for a bill in the Illinois legislature which would have required "comprehensive sex education" for all students K-12. Take a moment and watch the ad, asking yourself what Obama was advocating, according to the ad.

No seriously, go watch it; it's only 30 seconds.

Welcome back. The indisputable (go ahead, dispute it, I dare you) implication of the ad is that Obama, ya know, wants to force your 5 year old to put a condom on a banana. In fact, the bill explicitly stated that education in early grades would focus on good and bad touching. Put another way, it would teach kids that your uncle shouldn't touch your pee-pee. And McCain is attacking Obama for it.

Both Obama and McCain have promised to run a clean campaign, and both have failed to varying degrees. This ad represents a new low in this campaign, where Obama is being attacked for trying to teach kids how to watch out for sexual molestation. It's a despicable attack, one that was personally approved by Senator McCain.

No comments: